In the fall of 2013, the Green Bay Area Public School District purchased the former St. Francis Xavier Catholic Elementary School to accommodate the increased enrollment in the District’s current Gifted Learners program. Enrollment was expected to grow from 130 to 275 kindergarten through eighth-grade students by the fall of 2014.
Phase 1: The 30,000 square-foot Catholic school was remodeled, and a two-story, 5,000 square-foot addition was added as well as a mechanical penthouse. The design maintains the original character of the 1929 brick and stone exterior and preserved the original decorative tile on the walls and floors. Accessibility and technology upgrades, as well as the addition of secure entrances, an elevator, and office spaces, were necessary components to the project. The design incorporates 21st century learning spaces with a “thinking studio” and many flexible and collaborative spaces throughout.
Phase 2: The District purchased a neighboring building to the School. The expansion project included gutting and remodeling the existing building and adding a corridor to serve as a link between the two buildings.