Opened in 1940, Elizabeth Waters is the second-oldest University Housing dining location. Except for an atrium addition, the Elizabeth Waters food service had occupied the same space as it did 67 years ago. Thus, the major goal of the renovations was to provide adequate servery and kitchen space utilizing a marketplace stations/platforms concept for maximum flexibility. Renovations also allow the secure isolation of the kitchen and servery areas from the seating areas, making the common space usable as meeting, study, and activity space when food service is not operating.
In addition to these improvements, the outdoor patio and adjacent landscaping was restored to serve as recreation space and lake-side seating for casual dining and special events. The Hall’s makeover also included the replacement of the heating system to improve energy efficiency and update individual room heat controls.