Selecting a contractor can be an intimidating task. Not only is a commercial construction project an immense investment, but in most cases, you will be working closely with the organization you select for a substantial amount of time. Making the best decision up front can lessen the amount of stress you feel down the road. Click here for a few things to consider before selecting a contractor.
- Experience & References – do they perform the type of work that is relevant to your needs? Request references for projects the contractor has completed that are similar to yours. This is a great way to find out how capable the company is of completing a project of your size and scope. It will also alert you to any issues clients may have had with them in the past.
- Capacity – do they have the available resources (people, equipment) necessary to deliver your project efficiently and effectively?
- Cost Effectiveness – can they provide proven examples of cost effectiveness in designing, bidding and constructing projects?
- Schedule – Will your project be completed in the timeframe you have requested?
- Financial Strength – what is their financial rating, their bonding capacity and their bonding rates?
- Safety Performance – what are their EMR rates (a strong overall indicator of safety performance)?
- Services – what services do they actually perform vs. what do they outsource, and why? You may want to find out which subcontractors and suppliers will be working on the project in order to do some research on the other entities that will be involved with your project.
- Warranty – what items are covered if the work is not adequate or if something goes wrong? Be sure to get these promises in writing in order to protect yourself and your business.
- Innovation – what are some examples of innovative services, techniques and solutions that set them apart from their competition?
- Likability – at the end of the day, will you be able to develop a trusting relationship with this company? The design and construction process requires a great deal of collaboration and building a comfortable working relationship with your contractor is vital to the success of your project.
Need help with a construction project? Give us a call at 1.866.969.1966.