Market LeaderCraig Uhlenbrauck / Educational Market Leader & Senior Vice President, Wausau Operations
A key element in achieving your district’s facilities goals is the vital pre-referendum effort. Before ground can be broken, the district must educate the community regarding the needs and solutions, and convince the voters that the projects are warranted. Learn how five Wisconsin school districts successfully passed their referenda and are celebrating their successful projects in our “REFERENDUM TO REALITY” video series.
- Hear five districts’ success stories in our “REFERENDUM TO REALITY” video series
- Get referendum ready with Referendum Planning – 8 Tips for Success.
- Here are 5 Reasons to Hire a Construction Manager during the pre-referendum phase.
COMMUNICATION IS KEY!
The primary goal of any referendum plan is communication. Voters will want to know:
- How the needs were assessed: Were there knowledgeable resources involved?
- How the solution was reached: Who gave input? Are all the needs addressed?
- The feasibility of the solution: Is it the best solution? Were others explored?
- The tax impact: How much will it cost? Are we getting the best “bang” for our buck? How do we compare to other area districts?
- Long-range implications: Is this a solution that makes sense for the future?
- Financial responsibility: Has the District used its funds appropriately in the past? What does our debt picture look like?
For over 15 years, Miron has taken an active role in the pre-referendum process by assisting school districts and architects in educating the public through various means and methods.
HOW CAN MIRON HELP?
An organized campaign to inform voters of the needs, issues, solutions, and impact is essential. Getting the community involved in this effort is also crucial. In addition to our comprehensive pre-construction services, in this stage we can help you:
- Develop a facilities timeline with collaborative goals and drivers for the process
- Facilitate committees and encourage community engagement
- Develop conceptual estimates to establish accurate budgets for the various options being explored
- Calculate a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) to be used as the referendum dollar amount
- Develop preliminary construction schedules to show completion dates or possible phasing plans
- Develop a customized communication plan with action items and goal dates
- Develop communication tools such as posters, direct-mail pieces, and social media templates
- Facilitate public information meetings