8 Things You Should Think About Before Hiring a Contractor
Choosing a contractor is not a decision that anyone should take lightly. In most cases, you will be working very closely with the organization you select for a substantial amount of time, and making the best decision up front can lessen the amount of stress you feel down the road. Therefore, below are a few things to think about when selecting a contractor.
1. Experience – do they perform the type of work that is relevant to your needs?
2. Capacity – do they have the available resources (people, equipment) necessary to deliver your project efficiently and effectively?
3. Cost effectiveness – can they provide proven examples of cost effectiveness in designing, bidding and constructing projects?
4. Financial strength – what is their financial rating, their bonding capacity and their bonding rates?
5. Safety performance – what are their EMR rates (a strong overall indicator of safety performance)?
6. Services – what services do they actually perform vs. what do they outsource, and why?
7. Innovation – what are some examples of innovative services, techniques and solutions that set them apart from their competition?
8. Likability – at the end of the day, will you be able to develop a trusting relationship with this company? The design and construction process requires a great deal of collaboration and building a comfortable working relationship with your contractor is vital to the success of your project.
Image purchased from iStock.